LoBiondo Facts

U.S. Representative Frank LoBiondo has painted himself as a moderate. Our mission is to educate the public about his arch conservative voting record and to unseat him in 2006. Our website can be found at www.cpr4nj.org.

Name:
Location: New Jersey, United States

Citizens for Progressive Representation (CPR) is a nonprofit grassroots organization, founded in New Jersey, with a mission to bring truth to politics, to remove targeted incumbents from office, and to elect progressive and socially responsible candidates. Our website is located at www.cpr4nj.org.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Remembering a different time, conflict

In part because of all of the daily coverage of the military action in Iraq and Afghanistan, I am often brought back to the late '60s and thoughts of America and myself and another conflict in another time. I spent a Thanksgiving and a Christmas at Long Binh, in South Vietnam, along with 500,000 of my fellow young Americans. Being young and in a theater of war makes a lasting impression on the mind and body, even if you were as lucky as I was not to be in actual combat. visited Vineland on Black Friday with my wife of 38 years (she was the young wife of an Army private off to war). The reason I stopped in Vineland was to go to Landis Park and see if there was a memorial to my brothers in arms. I was pleasantly surprised to see a beautiful monument to the young men (the oldest was just 31) who gave up their lives in pursuit of the political goals of the day. My wife and I walked Veterans Circle and saw the memorials to all the fallen from Vineland and paid brief, private homage to names carved in Crosses, Stars of David and monuments -- fitting remembrances of people we should never forget. Soon there will have to be space for names from Iraq and Afghanistan or some other far off place where young Americans may be found eating turkey or military meals ready to eat. It doesn't matter that I don't believe in the war in Iraq, it only matters that we honor our fallen and are there to welcome our troops home, as they should be welcomed. My family and I have been to Washington, D.C., a number of times and walked along and read the names on "The Wall." Fifty-seven thousand baby boomers paid the ultimate price, but I was lucky enough to come home. I honor them as we should honor our current military men and women. I would like nothing more than to see our troops home from Iraq by the end of the year, but that is not a reality. I can only hope to see no more names carved in stone in pursuit of the policies of our president. Capture Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan or Pakistan, and bring our troops home. Michael D. Sehl, Former Spec 4, U.S. Army 1967-1969, VHS Class of 1964, Phoenixville, PA - Daily Journal, November 28, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home